Friday 8 July 2011

Yepoon to Home Hill

On Wednesday I left Yepoon fairly early because I knew I had that long boring run between Rockhampton and Mackay to do. There's not much to look at. I stopped at Marlborough for fuel and food, and to watch traffic. And then I stopped again at Clairview but at least it was low tide and I could walk wayyyy out on the sand/mud. In Mackay I got myself some emergency McDonalds so I could try and plan my next move of Bunnings and Camp food shopping. In summary, I hate Mackay :D

I camped at Smalleys Beach (40km north of Mackay) for 2 nights having stayed there twice before, in 1986 and 1991... And the only thing I really remember about the last time was walking out to Wedge Island at low tide (at the nearby Cape Hillsborough) and the beach. The rest day was good and now I really think I can keep up the slow pace, I didn't want to leave...

Today I started heading north again not wanting to do more than 200km or so. I went in to Airlie beach on my way but didn't like it. There's a Bunnings, big shopping centre, McDonalds, Hungry Jacks etc. and I'm not sure why. It doesn't really look like a big place at all. Next was a run up to Bowen which is only an hour away. I had planned to stay there but every caravan park was full and every Motel was $100/night or more! The V8's in Townsville combined with school holidays are making this difficult. I figured it was best to keep going and get some more kilometers out of the way. I got to Home Hill and was going to try and find a caravan park to stay cheaply but then I saw the looonnnnnnggggg line of motorhomes and caravans by the info place. They would have all tried to get in at Bowen too. I figured it was best not to compete and just pay for a Motel room. 

Now some pics:
Campsite at Smalleys Beach

Pretty much sums up my rest day...

The causeway out to Wedge Island

More of Cape Hillsborough



You can all fight over caravan sites, I'm getting a Motel... (:O you can park there for 48 hours! with free showers, and bbq, and toilets, and everything! Oh well. I did see a lot of caravans waiting on the side of the Bruce highway)

Emergency headphone repair with the help of superglue!


Sunset on Day 2

More Sunset


Playing with the GoPro in the water

Tide was coming in at Clairview... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Oh, I guess walking is OK.

1 comment:

  1. hi Ryan, looks like you're having fun... love your photos... :-)

    ReplyDelete